Verizon and Redbox created quite a stir when they announced a partnership with the intent of creating a streaming video rental service to go head-to-head with Netflix. Though it won’t launch until the second half of this year, the Verizon/Redbox service was robustly discussed online.
To get a better sense of how online consumers feel about the new service we analyzed thousands of public posts from Twitter, blogs and forums, online news sites and Facebook.
The key take-away: Netflix beware.
Why? More than 50% of the online conversation showed that consumers would entertain an alternative, or at least think Netflix should watch its back.
Here’s the specific breakdown of opinions present in the online conversation:
- 26% of the conversation indicated consumers had a desire to try the new Verizon/Redbox service
- 24% cautioned Netflix to watch its back
- 6% suggested they’d jump to a new ship for a lower cost option
- 7% showed some concern for Verizon, wondering how this move would alter its business
- The remainder of the conversation was simply sharing of the news
What do you think about the Verizon/Redbox partnership? Did our analysis surprise you?
As always, we’ll continue analyzing the space for interesting trends. In the meantime, feel free contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to learn how your market, brand or product could benefit from leveraging the Crimson Hexagon ForSight™ platform for social media monitoring and analysis. Want to see the Crimson Hexagon platform in action? Request a Live Online Demo.