Public Reaction to “Attachment Parenting” Creates Media Frenzy
Time Magazine’s latest story on “attachment parenting” features 26 year-old mother Jamie Lynne Grumet breastfeeding her 4 year old son, Aaron, on the cover of the magazine. By itself, attachment parenting is a controversial topic. But the photo Time chose for its cover has led to a downright media frenzy.
We used our ForSight social media analysis platform to understand the almost 4,000 opinions on the controversial topic. What did we find? The majority disagree with the editors at Time.
45% of the conversation is negative; specifically:
- 20% find breastfeeding in public to be an intimate moment, and shouldn’t be exploited to sell magazines
- 12% ask: “is Time Serious?” Specifically, these comments question the appropriateness of the cover and the newsworthiness of the story
- The remainder, 13%, simply find the concept of attachment parenting odd
26% of the conversation was positive:
- 10% praise Time’s usage of the photo as it has effectively brought the topic into the mainstream conversation
- Another 10% find breastfeeding to be a natural part of life that shouldn’t be considered objectionable or lewd regardless of where its seen
- 6% find nothing wrong with “attachment parenting,” and see it as a viable method for rearing their children
The remaining 30% was sharing the news of the cover or simply didn’t express an opinion either way.
As always, we’ll continue analyzing sharing social sentiment analysis on the space for interesting trends. In the meantime, feel free to contact us on Twitter @CrimsonHexagon or via email at email@example.com with questions or to learn how your market, brand or product could benefit from leveraging the Crimson Hexagon ForSight™ platform for social media monitoring and analysis. Want to see the Crimson Hexagon platform in action? Request a Live Online Demo.
Sean Finn also contributed to this post